“Women can’t be funny”? Well, not really, it’s time to change the perception.
Stand- up comedy in India is quite often associated with the likes of Johnny Lever, Raju Srivastav, Kapil Sharma and generally considered to be a male-dominated industry. However, gone are the days when stand-up comedy was centered on them as the paradigm now also includes many women comedians. They are witty, smart and Yes, funny as well.
If you don’t know what we are talking about then get ready to be amazed as it’s no joke!
Now let’s take a look at some of the most famous Indian female stand-up comedians who have made their mark in India:
1. Bharti Singh: She definitely is one of the pioneers to elevate the status of women as comedians. She stood her ground against some of the best male comedians in famous shows like Great Indian Laughter Challenge andComedy Circus. Also, if you think that she can only make your bellies hurt then I am sure you haven’t seen her perform at a dance show Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa.
2. Aditi Mittal: Many of you must have first spotted her in an infamous AIB roast of Arjun Kapoor and Ranveer Singh. You must have thought what is a female doing there? But to everyone’s surprise, she turned out to be one of the best comedians on the panel. From there onwards, she has only got funnier, all the more sarcastic and wittier with her timing.
3. Sumukhi Suresh: Known for playing women characters that society can very well relate with, Sumukhi Sureshhas gained immense popularity amongst urban class in no time and with her recent stint in Amazon Prime, she has reached a wider audience.
4. Kusha Kapila: She is most popular for her work with the Indian media platform iDiva and her fictional character “Billi Massi”. Her incredible work soon caught the attention of Karan Johar, post which she also appeared alongside him in an interview. It’s thus very rightly said that “talent has no limits”.
5. Neeti Palta: She’s the one who gave a face to English stand-up comedy for women! Neeti was also voted as the Best Stand-Up Comic at the Oz Fest and performed India’s first stand-up act at Melbourne. Her immense talent and knowledge got right set of appreciation as she has already performed in almost 20 cities in India and internationally.
6. Kaneez Surka: Born in South African, Kaneez has been residing in Mumbai since 2005. With her constant shows, she now seems to have achieved the tag of Improv comedy in India. Kaneez is known to bring laughter on stage with ease. She has also made her name on a famous creative agency, AIB as well.
Well, to be honest with you all, the list of Indian female stand-up comedians is a never-ending one. India is a hub of many young talented people and women are not lagging behind anymore. With new talent emerging in the market, every now and then, it certainly creates a great opportunity for more young women to participate actively and gain fame in comedy.
Read more exciting stories here